Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Note: You are currently viewing the archives. To join the active discussions, go to http://www.woodworkslive.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you Attach a Marble Table Top  (Read 3805 times)
andy

« on: September 06, 2007, 02:52:21 PM »

I came in to a beautiful piece of rose marble (free!!!!!) I'm going to use for a coffee table. I'm not sure about how to attach the top. The top is only about 3/4 thick. I was thinking about drilling shallow holes into the underside of the top and epoxying some threaded rod that could go down through the corner braces & a nut. Does this sound like a good idea? Anyone ever done this? Thanks in advance.
C. John Hebert
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 02:58:22 PM »

I wouldn't drill nothing.........liable to crack the top the way you want to do it. Just lay a bead of PL construction adhesive on the table frame then set the top down on it and don't touch it for 24hrs. Make sure you wipe any squeeze out with paint thinner and a rag. No clamping needed, the weight of the top is enough
Don J in Minnesota

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:06:41 PM »

Like CJ said. Here is a pic of a table I did a couple years back and the granite top is just a snug friction fit. Have not had any problems with it and it gets moved around. Top is 3/4" thick and recessed about 1/4".

Don J in Minnesota
Art in Linden

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:11:01 PM »

Iv'e got three marble top tables and the top just sits on the frame no glue or screws.

Art

If you want to you can.

If you are not sure you won't.
Pete Stahl

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 05:36:22 PM »

Helped my Brother move some furniture. The couple tables he had with marble tops were not glued.
Stu in Edmonton

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »

Assuming it is heavy enough, lay it on the table and leave it alone. If not do CJ's trick.

Do it Right
Dick James

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »

Clear silicone.Have used it on marble,Corian and the like w/ no problems.

I've never lost money on a job I didn't get
Fletch in Alvarado

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 08:37:59 PM »

Welcome to the Wood Works!  When you accomplish your task, post pics!  We all love pics! 

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Bill D.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 09:04:45 PM »

my brother has made several marble top tables.   Either lay it inside a wood frame to protect the corners of the marble, no glue needed.
or if you want it to hang over the frame unsupported, glue some scrap wood to the underside of top in the corners to locate it inside the corners.  make sure to round the corners to prevent breaking either knees or the marble.
  Remember the marble can not be rigidly attached to the wood as it expands/contracts differently kinda like a frame and panel door.
Bill D.
PS I think he used silicone as  a glue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: