Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Note: You are currently viewing the archives. To join the active discussions, go to http://www.woodworkslive.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you place the screws on a ribbed metal roof?  (Read 8856 times)
Duane Hahn

« on: June 11, 2007, 08:21:26 AM »

I am installing a pro rib metal roof on a screened in porch.  The big box sales person said to place the screws on every nine inch rib.  I was told by two different contractors to place the screws on the flat part of the metal close to the seam.  I looked on line and found a source that said to place screws on the flat part of the panel, but nails in the rib.  Thanks for the help   Duane
Tokyo Stu Ablett

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 09:14:47 AM »

I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about, the roofing material that is.

For just plain old corrugated roofing, I put the nails, with the little caps on the peaks, as the water will not run into a peak and thus into a hole.......?

But I could be mistaking what you are talking about...........??

Is it this stuff...........??

Huh

- Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they are.

“if you don’t read the newspapers you are uninformed — if you do read the newspapers you are misinformed.” Mark Twain
C. John Hebert
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 09:54:25 AM »

I place mine on that flattened section. Reason being you can sock the srew in and get a better seal on the rubber washer
bill

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 10:11:22 AM »

read the directions that come with the product (I'm really not trying to be a smart a$$) depending on your product you may void any warantee if you dont install exactly according to directions on the package no matter what the box guy says DAMHIKT bb
Duane Hahn

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 10:36:53 AM »

Stu's picture is what it looks like.  No directions came with the panels. 
Duane

Jim Hager (Bony)

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 10:41:39 AM »

I've installed a lot of that stuff, I always place the screws in the flat section within about an inch of the corrugation.  Everyonce in a while you may get a small leak but just tighten the screw and it'll stop.  Set the torque clutch on your drill to set em all the same tightness.

zip-a-de-do-da-zip-a-de-day
P. Krom

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 11:30:59 AM »

Hum - various opinions - Galvanized I always nailed on the high side, into green oak-clean through. Did it when you used lead seal nails, and now with the neoprene seals. Although a little diff. than nailing into pines and fir, you lay a nail into green oak,hail,fire,brimestone, and a few other fine discrips. ain't gonna loosen that nail, or screw.  Grin

In the heart of Billy Penns woods
If the go gauge goes,& the no go won't go will she burp?
edp

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 11:51:15 AM »

Screws are the fastener of choice for sure. And yes, they go in the flats. Do not mash the neo washers to the point where they start to bulge out. Just a good firm pressure so either adjust your torque setting if it is trustworthy or set a depth rod on your driver.

Ed
Art in Linden

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 02:11:14 PM »

Yep on the flats next to the rib sith screws, predrill on the ribs with nails.

Art

If you want to you can.

If you are not sure you won't.
Steve Clardy

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 03:15:07 PM »

In the flat sections, centered between the ribs.
Putting them on the ribs is a no-no.
The ribs are there for expansion, strength.
Now at your overlap joint, the screw goes as close to the rib as possible, so the lap won't be flapping in the wind

Well. I made it here. I'm doing good huh.
My first life, I was stwood at Kip's old forum, The Oak.
JD Logan

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 05:13:20 PM »

The professionals that put up my pole buildings put the screws down in the flat.  Only had one leaker where they missed a purlin.  It's fixed now.

#8 ~~ You can't always most generally tell what you least expect the most. ~~
Tom Carman

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 11:11:27 AM »

Bill is absolutly right.  It depends on the manufacturer.  We installed one on a building by Miracle Steel and they require the screws to be installed on the overlap lip(ridge), if you want the warranty to be valid.  Like JD Logan said, miss a purlin and you'll most likely get a leak and don't squash the rubber washer too much.

Every time a golfer makes a birdie, he must subsequently make two triple bogeys to restore the fundamental equilibrium of the universe.
Pat Copper

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 04:59:05 AM »

before I actually read the directions, uh, I screwed on MANY a roof on the ribs, including my shop w/it's O-So-NOT-steep pitch of 1-3/4"/12 and ain't ever had a leak. The sticky rolls of grey stuff is a good thing on low pitches, and the sticky rolls of foam stuff a MUST on valleys. The sticky shaped foam stuff is good for under the ridge cap, but tis QUITE{in relation to cost of metal} expensive. The shaped foam for between drip-edge and roof metal a TOTAL waste of $$ IMHO. And if you miss a purlin when screwin', just take a block-o-2X4 to catch the screw.{admittedly DAMN HARD to hold block to underside while you on top side. And the edge that has about 3/8" of flat goes UNDER the edge that don't.

Crackpot Piper Valley of the Virginias
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: