Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Note: You are currently viewing the archives. To join the active discussions, go to http://www.woodworkslive.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CD storage rack inserts  (Read 1419 times)
Harveyj

« on: July 25, 2006, 08:00:41 AM »

Been a while since my last posting...been lurking tho..
I have been asked to make a CD storage cabinet for around 500 CD's.  I remember seeing, in one of the catalogs, premade wood racks that could be built into a cabinet but, after spending hours looking through my many catalogs, I can't locate them.  I sure don't feel like cutting 1,000 evenly spaced dados.
Anybody got a clue as to where I might locate some?
Thanks.
111 degrees in Boise   Sad
Ken Belisle (Chantilly, VA)

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 08:11:29 AM »

Take a look here........

http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=198

........and see if this is what you're looking for.

Ken

My biggest fear is that after I'm dead, my wife will sell all my tools for what she thinks I paid for them
Harveyj

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 08:24:29 AM »

Thanks Ken. 
I did see the plastic styles but, because I am making a solid wood cabinet, I'd prefer to use wooden racks...if available..
Brent Harral
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 08:32:30 AM »

I did a little searching too and couldn't find any insertable wooden racks.  I hope you can find them because I used one of those rockler types and it's an exercise in pain!   Figured I'd install them after the unit was built, but with the little screws and zero room, it was difficult...to say the least..

Good luck.
Harveyj

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 08:40:29 AM »

Thanks Brent.
Why is it when you go back to look for something you've seen before, it's almost impossible to find??
I know I've seen them...just can't locate the source...
Appreciate the help.
Rich in MA

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 09:45:19 AM »

hmmm, 500 CDs?  If it was me I'd buy a media center PC or similar and rip the CDs to that.  500 CDs take too much space....

I cut it three times and its still too short!
Don J in Minnesota

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 09:46:29 AM »

How about CD cases like these. I made 4 of these a couple years ago for 2 nieces, a nephew, and our Son.

Don J in Minnesota
Harveyj

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 11:26:04 AM »

Thanks for the ideas but, with three daughters and five cars, they want access to the CD's.  While they do load the various PC's with songs, then to the various I-pods etc., they want a central storage cabinet.  I have mentioned the "File cabinet" idea with drawers but, they want a tall cabinet with doors that will show all of the CD's at a glance...how do you argue with four women??
I can cut all of the dado's on one sheet and rip to width insuring even spacing..still, it's a bunch of cuts and setups.  I have sketched a jig that will fit into the adjacent slot...make the cut (router) and index on down the sheet similar to making box joints.  This may be the method I choose if I can't find that darn catalog with the pre-made "racks"...
I appreciate the replys and ideas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: