Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Note: You are currently viewing the archives. To join the active discussions, go to http://www.woodworkslive.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need alittle help here please Convert propane gas grill to natural gas grill  (Read 3289 times)
David Wags in Slidell, LA

« on: June 12, 2006, 12:27:25 PM »

I was told by the manufacturer of my propane grill that they do not make a kit to convert my grill to natural gas and I would like to do this so I don't run out of gas in the middle of grilling some heavily marbleized rib eye steaks and have to throw them in the oven mid stream so would anyone know the drill bit size if there is a standard to drill out the orifices for it to convert to natural gas BTW it has 4 cast iron burners also its a Brinkmann 2500 series

Thanks for any Help David

Is this better Scott no moving marquee┬  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

P.S. Scott can I at least make it GLOW LOL

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER AND MAKE SAWDUST
Rich S. in Selah, WA

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 12:51:51 PM »

I was told by the manufacturer of my propane grill that they do not make a kit to convert my grill to natural gas and I would like to do this so I don't run out of gas in the middle of grilling some heavily marbleized rib eye steaks and have to throw them in the oven mid stream so would anyone know the drill bit size if there is a standard to drill out the orifices for it to convert to natural gas BTW it has 4 cast iron burners also its a Brinkmann 2500 series

Thanks for any Help David

Is this better Scott no moving marquee  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

P.S. Scott can I at least make it GLOW LOL

From what I remember it is just a different regulator. But dont quote me on this Smiley

Rich S.
Pat Copper

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 01:21:05 PM »

Natural gas "stuff" WILL operate on propane, ya just got "more go" at whatever level the dial be at.[btdt, for those that doubt, ya just NEVER need to go NEAR "HI"] So, that would mean "orifice"{sp?} on propane too small. As, after rereading your post, YOU KNOW Grin Grin. Now, one thing I DO know, that no matter what "they" say, there AIN'T but so many different types of "pipe thread". There's propane/gas stuff" that screws into "normal" pipe thread, and there's propane/gas "stuff" that screws into whatever the FU*K that "other" thread is. My personal opinion would be, BEFORE I started drillin' out the orifice{..Hmmmwait a minute, find a natural gas stove and looky at THAT orifice, bet it would be the "right[enough]" size} anyway, I'd be lookin' at the conversion kit for ANY grill, and, well, if it screws in, it's right. NOTE!!!!!!!!OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!this IS NOT!!!!!!!something that one w/out a general idea of how stuff works/goes BOOM wants to play with. Honestly, I don't see HOW you can fu*kup but SO DAMN BAD, 'cause on natural, your "regulator" is, I'm PRETTY GODDA*N sure in the meter. OTHERWISE, it would be somewhere BETWEEN the meter and your appliance is. And I've taken a BUNCH of natural gas line OUT, and ain't ever seen NOTHING REMOTELY RESEMBLING a regulator. Somewhere, in the back of my mind, the "deal" is "propane" operating pressure is 7psi, whereas natural is 4psi. & the OTHER reason for natural orifices being bigger is "trash", so DON'T forget a drip-leg. This is probably JUST enough info to get SOMEONE blown up, hopefully there David, NOT you Grin

Crackpot Piper Valley of the Virginias
rbell

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 01:27:07 PM »

I only know that one should not attempt to use a stove with orfices drilled out for Natural gas on propane without switching orfices back to the smaller size (tends to make for lots o black soot)
Pat Copper

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 01:40:30 PM »

Just a WAY TOO BIG a flame problem. I used a natural gas stove in my house for 3-4 yrs{till the mice took it over} and never had a soot prob. unless I wasn't usin' it. If ya kept the flame a tad smaller than the pan, it worked fine. Admittedly now, it was an OLD stove, and had an "air adjustment flap"{for the lack of a better term} that I put  WIDE open to "fix" soot problem.

Randy S. in Minn

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 01:55:49 PM »

Me thinks it would be a heck of a lot easier and safer and cheaper to just buy an extra propane tank for $20 and keep it full for when the othere one goes empty.   Get the quick connect couplers and you can change a tank in 30 seconds or less.....

My wife says I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
Pat Copper

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 02:01:16 PM »

Grin Grin

rsteffey

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 02:16:39 PM »

I totaly agree with Randy on this one BUT  the last time I ran into this I had a pool heater I needed converted from propane to natural gas and the gas company was so glad to sell me gas they sent a guy out to drill it out for me at no charge. Might call your gas supplyer and see what they say they will either do it for you or tell you the right drill size but I bet in the interest of safety (AKA a law suit) they will do it for you.
Pat Copper

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 02:32:31 PM »

'Round here, if'n you or your land ain't already GOT a hook-up, you AIN'T gonna get one. And it DOES NOT MATTER whether you've got it @ the street, if the "connection" ain't ALREADY THERE, you ain't GETTIN' one. It's INSANE. Some of y'all might remember "The Yellow House"; gas next door, BOTH SIDES AND IN BACK, gas line runnin' on road in front, PLUS runnin' up easement in back, and Columbia WOULD NOT!! hook him up. He buried a propane tank. And we're talkin' HEAT, HW, AND!! COOKIN'. You want natural 'round here, you BEST be "knowin" somebody, or have 'em by the short and curlies.

rsteffey

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 03:34:24 PM »

You know Pat Propane is like that here I wanted to bury a big propane tank in my yard and use it for my hw and stove and the bastards wanted to charge me 1200 dollars for the tank so they could sell me propane. I suggested where they put the tank and bought a electric stove.
Pat Copper

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 04:25:20 PM »

otay, ya need a tank. underground, above ground, whatever. So, ya call you're friendly neighborhood propane distributor. ....you can RENT this tank from us{ for some ridiculously LOW figure, say $100 yr} or we'll SELL you the same tank, for what SEEMS to be a ridiculously HIGH figure. {lets say $1200 for a underground one} Ya know what they DON'T tell ya? The "tank renter" is paying MORE for his propane than the tank BUYER. It's been several years since I had the figures on said deal, but, it was enough of a difference{I want to say $.25ish gal} that it ABSOLUTELY blew me away. If I remember right, 3 years paid the difference or something. To me it was an astronomical difference.

Randy S. in Minn

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 06:34:26 PM »

Randy, you no FUN at all
┬ź Reply #6 on: Today at 03:01:16 PM ┬╗

Yeah my family says that all the time.  THe folks at work know me better though. 

I just aint a risk taker with propane or gas.   Got an uncle that got big time burns over 70% of his body when working in a sewer in the 60's.  Some other A$$ hole needed a ciggy and light up the whole dang tunnel system from a N gas leak.    Blew manhole covers off 10 blocks away.  So I be a bit careful with the stuff.

Art in Linden

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »

David;  If you have a number drill set find out witch drill fits the orifice, then go up two numbers and drill them out.  Now try the burner if you have a strong flame you are there. If not go up two more numbers and keep going until you get a good flame. Worked for me.   I thionk Pat said about the same thing.  I think?    Art

If you want to you can.

If you are not sure you won't.
dizzy

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 07:55:42 PM »

Natural gas is piped at a lower pressure than propane (~6" WC vs. ~10"
WC). So, regulators or jets may need to be replaced on your gas appliances to switch (or drilled out).

My dad used to have a tiny hand drill set that he would drill out the jet with for use with Natural Gas.   I think Propane also burns hotter. 

Pat Copper

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 08:08:56 PM »

'Course, w/out ACTUALLY sayin' it. Cool & Dizzy, of course you're right, but refresh my memory, WHAT THE hell IS WC? Or whatever the "gas pressure" term is....Water climbing over turd level.. I KNOW it's something, & I thought "PSI" was close 'nough, but it IS something else....Wing..Cabloooey..Nah, to easy..Damnit...water SOMETHING?Huh?

Randy S. in Minn

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 07:07:21 AM »

'Course, w/out ACTUALLY sayin' it. Cool & Dizzy, of course you're right, but refresh my memory, WHAT THE hell IS WC? Or whatever the "gas pressure" term is....Water climbing over turd level.. I KNOW it's something, & I thought "PSI" was close 'nough, but it IS something else....Wing..Cabloooey..Nah, to easy..Damnit...water SOMETHING?Huh?

Think it was water column but the brain might just be passing natural gas...

dizzy

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 10:44:36 AM »

it is inches in Water Colum as in a manometer.   if you compare specs like in a tankless water heater you can see the difference in pressure needed between the natural gas and LP gas unit:

Natural Gas Pressure Inlet     Min. 5" WC  to    Max. 11" WC
LP Gas Pressure Inlet             Min. 11" WC  to   Max. 14" WC
Manifold Pressure         Natural 2.3" WC    Propane 2.5" WC

Looks like inlet pressures can vary quite a bit, but it looks like manifold pressures are very close.

So what size drill do you use to make the jet larger??

I don't think it is really all that critical on a BBQ, but the jet needs to be larger than what you already have, if it doesn't burn hot enough just drill it out larger.  I also don't think you use the LP gas regulator (think the NG meter does all that for the whole house), look at a fireplace log lighter for example;  it has no regulator, is nothing more than a piece of 1/2" black pipe with a series of 1/8" holes drilled in it, out here that thing only uses  about $50 bucks worth of gas to light a fire.   

I have no idea where you would find the drill bits that small.   You might check with a HVAC guy, they would have them.   But I'd look in my rollaway and use the ones I have for cleaning my Oxy/Acet torches.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 11:12:37 AM by dizzy » Logged
David Wags in Slidell, LA

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 11:35:54 AM »

That is why this place has got to be one of the best sources for a novice to learn something about a variety of different crafts I appreciate the help folks and like Patty typed earlier hopefully I won't blow myself up Thanks again for the help people sorry Scott

THANKS David Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER AND MAKE SAWDUST
Bart Leetch

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 02:03:41 PM »

So why don't you just get a second propane tank & switch them out when one is empty & then later go get the empty filled. This will leave you BBQ grill so its portable if you should ever want to take it somewhere else to use it.

Sometimes the  simplest way is the easiest way.

"                                                   "
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: